These instructions apply to users attempting to install a web service on a server running IIS 7 or later. Those services which are compatible with IIS 6 require IIS 7 to be configured so that it can run IIS 6 applications. Installation on a server running IIS 6 does not require applying these instructions.
Example error dialog on service installation startup:
Install the IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility Components in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows Server by using the Server Manager tool . . .
- Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
- In the navigation pane, expand Roles, right-click Web Server (IIS), and then click Add Role Services.
- In the Select Role Services pane, scroll down to IIS 6 Management Compatibility.
- Click to select the IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility and IIS 6 Management Console check boxes.
- In the Select Role Services pane, click Next, and then click Install at the Confirm Installations Selections pane.
- Click Close to exit the Add Role Services wizard.
Install the IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility Components in Windows 7 or in Windows Vista from Control Panel . . .
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs and Features, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Open Internet Information Services.
- Open Web Management Tools.
- Open IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility.
- Select the check boxes for IIS 6 Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility and IIS 6 Management Console.
- Click OK.