Installing AskiaField (CCA Server)
CCA (Contact Centre Administrator) is Askia's central data collection platform, be it web interviews, phone interviews or face to face. All Supervisors and Agents connect to this platform during fieldwork with a client application. CCA works paired with a SQL Server, where it saves all survey information and data.
Note : the following section describes the minimum requirements on the host machine, when it will be used to host the CCA application only. There are additional requirements when the host machine is running other applications, such as WebProd. If WebProd is required, please refer to the corresponding minimum requirements section here.
In case of a server application installation performed by Askia staff, the application will NOT be installed if one of these pre-requirements (or more) is not met on the host machine.
Hardware and Software
|OS||Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or higher|
|Processor||Intel Xeon or higher|
|RAM||6 GB RAM|
|HD||500 GB, plus enough space for surveys resources & data|
|Network||Ethernet activated with fix local IP address / NetBIOS name|
|Software||Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (CCAWebAPI), IIS 7, Microsoft SQL server(2012 or higher),SQL Server Management Studio|
|Drivers||Microsoft Access 2013 Runtime for CCA / Microsoft Access 2007 Runtime for Export Service|
|Windows CAPI: TCP 940 or TCP 1940 (encrypted) In & Out OPEN|
|CATI: TCP 901/923 or TCP 1901/1923 (encrypted) In & Out OPEN|
|Supervisor: TCP 903 & TCP 922 (data) or TCP 1903 & TCP 1922 (data) (encrypted) In & Out OPEN|
|WebProd: TCP 910 or TCP 1910 (encrypted) In & Out OPEN|
|AskiaFace (Android/iOS): TCP 80 In & Out OPEN|
|API: TCP 980 or TCP 1980 (encrypted) In & Out OPEN|
|Reporting Service: TCP 970 or TCP 1970 (encrypted) In & Out OPEN|
|Agent Monitoring Service: TCP 990 and TCP 15500 (server), TCP 15900 (viewer), TCP 15901 (web viewer) In & Out OPEN|
|Updates Packages: TCP 991, TCP 1991 In & Out OPEN|
|SQL Server: TCP 1433 In & Out (to prohibit over the internet!) OPEN|
|Optional : for a CTArchitect dialler, please open the following ports too|
|Communication between CTArchitect and CCA : TCP 902/1902 OPEN|
|Communication between CTArchitect and HWClient.exe : TCP 9070 & 9071 OPEN|
|Communication between CATI.exe and HWClient : on the HWClient, TCP/UDP 5060 (SIP) or TCP/UDP 1720 (h323) OPEN|
|Encryption||AES RC4 block encryption algorithm, 128bit key length & 128bit salt length (See RC4 for details)|
|Windows updates||Windows and Microsoft updates must be activated (automatic download + manual installation)|
|Anti-Malware||Periodic scans should exclude files used by the CCA to prevent access locks|
||VPN||Required if using off-site CATI agents or off-site databases|
||SMTP||Required if using email invitations. SMTP server and CCA must be able to communicate with IP.|
Security & Users
- SQL Server Properties
Server Properties > Security > Server Authentication
Make sure to enable "SQL Server and Windows Authentication Mode"
- SQL user
CCA writes in a SQL database. During CCA's setup, it will attempt to create the 5 databases in which CCA is later going to write data. Therefore, whichever SQL user is assigned to CCA, this user should have "db_creator" rights on the SQL server during the installation process. It can then be removed for production.
During production, "db_owner" is required on the 2 created databases.
In the case of an installation performed by Askia staff, an "AskiaField" SQL user will be created with enough rights to carry on the installation. Please contact Askia staff before the installation if a different user shall be used instead.
- CCA application or service user
CCA is a Windows application (.exe) that will run on the server.
Therefore, the Windows user that will run the application (or the service, if the application is set to run as a service) should have the read/write/modify permissions on the Askia installation path (usually C:\Program Files\Askia or C:\Program Files (x86)\Askia).
In the case of an installation performed by Askia staff, the Windows login that is provided in order to log on to the server will be the one used to run the application. Please contact Askia staff before the installation if a different user shall be used instead.
- Installation privileges
Local administrator privileges are required during the installation or update process.
- CCA server
- CPU: 2 cores are the minimum. Add 1 every 25 agents or 2 for each server’s apps connected (CCA, CTArchitect, WebProd,…)
- RAM: 4GB are the minimum. Add 2 for each server’s apps connected (CCA, CTArchitect, WebProd,…)
- SQL Server (Non Express edition)
- CPU: 2 cores are the minimum. Add 1 every 25 agents or 2 for each server’s apps connected (AskiaVista, CTArchitect, WebProd,…)
- RAM: 4Gb dedicated are the minimum. Add 1 every 3 agents or 10 for each server’s apps connected (AskiaVista, CTArchitect, WebProd,…)
- CATI fieldwork with more than 50 agents have to dedicates a data server hosting the SQL Server instance and databases.
- CATI fieldwork with telephony integration have to use a valid SQL Server version installed on a dedicated server to host the SQL Server instance and databases.
- SQL Server Express Edition usage is possible but please be aware of its limitations and that it is not recommended with more than 15 agents.
- Network & access infrastructure
Please take care of the internal network infrastructure in case of VOIP usage (Switch VOIP for QoS, Gbit and no Mbit Lan…).
Before the installation, ask for the latest recommendations of our VOIP partner : MyForce
- Agents connected from a remote site (not on the same LAN than the servers) should use a stable internet connection as SDSL or fibre optic cable. The connection made should also be done through a VPN.
- Remote control & file transfer allowed for Askia's tech support.
Running the install
Download CCA's latest version (5.5.3.X) here.
Extract the file and run the .exe.
- Select the installation folder. This will contain the .exe file and libraries.
- Select the pre-defined installation templates from the dropdown list. For a classic CCA installation, select CCA.
You can then add or remove components according to your needs.
CTArchitect is the automatic dialling application.
CTWatch is an application that restarts CCA or CTArchitect if the application is down.
If you wish to use CCA Portal later, tick CCA Web Service, and refer to the following section : Install CCA Service after the install.
- The next screen is the requirement checks screen. The three hardware tests ensure that your machine is powerful enough. If SQL DMO is not installed yet, the setup will allow you to do it now.
- The next screen allows you to define the working directory of the CCA. This is where most space is used. Questionnaire structure files, resources (video, audio, images), partial exports are stored here.
Usually, a shared hard drive partition is dedicated to this working directory.
- If your setup includes an automatic dialler, type in its IP address here, else, leave blank.
- The next screen lets you define whether your CCA server should run as an application or as a service. Choose here if you want your CCA server to be able to generate Crystal Reports (agent monitoring reports, calls monitoring reports).
- Now, time to connect the CCA to the SQL server. Type in the IP of your SQL server followed by "\" and the SQL instance name. (e.g.: localhost\SQLEXPRESS). The default port is 1433.
Then use the db_owner credentials you have created earlier.
- The setup is now going to create all needed databases, and create a DSN on the CCA server to reach each database.
If the SQL server already has CCA databases in it that you want to re-use, select them from the dropdown list. Else, click "Create..."
First database: Global
- Second Database: CCA
- Third database: Statistics
- Forth, fifth and sixth databases : Lists, Surveys and CTScript. Either re-use an existing one in case of a previous installation, or create new ones.
- The next screen is a recap of the installation settings. Make sure you reviewed them before you click "Install".
- Now, every extra feature that you selected from the installation list is going to be installed. Once the extra features are installed, you are done!
The same setup files are used for both fresh installation and upgrade.
The process is essentially the same as a fresh installation, except that all configuration parameters will be pre-filled from your existing configuration.
- Do I have to uninstall the existing version to upgrade? : No
- Will there be downtime for my agents an supervisors? : Yes
- Will there be downtime for Web respondents? : No, online surveys will remain accessible, although the quota feature will not be available.
CCA upgrade recommendations
- Make sure you have local administrator privileges
- Check the Windows Services and locate "Contact Centre Administrator". It will show which Windows user is currently running the service. You should have access to this user's credentials to be able to carry on the update.
- Here is the list of items that should be saved in case a rollback to the previous version is needed
- Installation directory ( the /AskiaField/CCA folder in the file system)
- Schedule an SQL restoration point
- Backup the registry settings ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Peter Holmes\Cca\Settings)
- Clean-up of the "Statistics" databases by removing unused tables:
- This can be performed with the dedicated CCA Backup tool
- You can save these with the "create package" feature
Run the update
- Navigate to the Windows Services menu and expand the properties of "Contact Centre Administrator". Set it to "disabled". Then right-click on the service and Stop it.
A couple of options are available from the command line.
Open a Command prompt and navigate to you CCA installation folder.
The command is CCA.exe and the following options are available.
|cca.exe -help or cca.exe -?||Displays the list of commands|
|cca.exe -settings||Opens the CCA settings window without needing to start the CCA server.|
|cca.exe -service -install U:username P:password||Installs the CCA windows service without needing to run the full installer again.|
|cca.exe -service -uninstall||Gets rid of the windows service|
|cca.exe -service -start||Starts and stop the Windows service|
|cca.exe -service -stop||Stops the Windows service|
Install AskiaFace for iOS & Android
Design Survey Service is the server-side application with which iOS and Android devices communicate.
It is hosted on your IIS platform and runs as a WCF Service
This service is NOT used by AskiaFace for Windows, which connects directly to the CCA.
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows Server 2012 minimum|
|Processor||Intel Core2Duo, Xeon or higher (with a minimum of 2 cores)|
|Roles||Microsoft IIS 6 or higher, ASP.NET, IIS Compatibility Components (IIS 7 or later, only)|
|Ports||80 must be open; 443 must be open if SSL is used|
Design Survey Service (note: uses SOAP) must be installed and IIS authorised in your firewall ("World Wide Web Services")
Make sure that port 980 and/or port 1980 (encrypted) is open on your CCA server. The communication between CCA server and DesignSurveyService is made through one of these ports. If the service and CCA will communicate across the open internet - i.e. not via a local network or VPN - it is strongly recommended that the port for encrypted communication (default 1980) is used.
Run the installation
- Download DesignSurveyService's latest version (v5.5.3) here
- Extract and run the installer.exe file
- This screen will check if your machine meets the minimum requirements.
You can install the missing frameworks from this installer by clicking "information". Note that the missing frameworks are downloaded only when necessary, so an internet connection will be necessary if any are missing.
- Application and website :
- Select "Create a new application pool" if this is the first time DesignSurveyService is installed on this machine.
- Type in the IP address of your CCA server. A list of available CCAs will be prompted in the dropdown list.
By default, CCA uses port 980 to communicate with DesignSurveyService.
In this example, "localhost" is inserted since the Service was installed on the same machine than the CCA.
- Now, type in the path where you want the service files to be installed.
You also have the option to allow cross-domain access to this service. Enabling this means that applications running on other web-servers will be able to use this web service that you are installing. For AskiaFace for iOS, you do not need cross-domain access and should leave it disabled.
- This is your final chance to exit the installation without making any changes. Clicking the "Next" button means that the installation will begin.
- After all files have been installed, the service is installed. You can launch the service and test it.
- Testing :
If the service is contacted successfully, you will see a browser windows similar to below. If not, you will see an error displayed and will need to take corrective action.
The browser is directed to the following address:
- Test Agent List :The previous test only shows if the service is reachable. A more comprehensive test is to see if the service is reachable and can contact the CCA. Do this by requesting the service to show a list of the available agents by entering the following address into the browser:
If after the installation of the DesignSurveyService you receive an "HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error", make sure ASP.NET V4 is properly registered.
To do this, run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the following:
See related discussion: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5836228/asp-net-4-0-has-not-been-registered
CCAPortal is a webservice that allows your Supervisor or Agents to access some functionalities of the CCA via a web browser.
e.g : Manage and monitor agents, download setup files or field reports.
This service communicates with CCAService.
It is hosted on your IIS platform, which is not necessary on the same machine than your CCA Server.
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows Server 2012 minimum|
|Processor||Intel Core2Duo, Xeon or higher (with a minimum of 2 cores)|
|Roles||Microsoft IIS 7 or higher, Active Server Page (ASP)|
|Ports||80 must be open|
|Web Service||Design Survey Service (note: uses SOAP) must be installed and authorised in your firewall|
Make sure that CCA Service is installed!
Make sure that port 980 or port 1980 is open on your CCA, since the communication between CCAPortal and CCA is established through one of these ports.
Run the install
- Extract the file and run the .exe
- This screen will check if your machine meets the minimum hardware requirements
- This is now the IIS application configuration. Choose "create a new application" if this is the first time you install CCAPortal on this machine.
Choose the name of the application file pool by creating a new pool, or replacing an existing one.
- You can also change its user name, although "Network Service" is correct in most cases.
- Now, type in the IP address where your CCA Service is reachable. In this example, the CCA Service runs on a PC named "askia-stephen".
- The installer will now install the CCA Portal with the parameters you have just defined. Hit "Install" when ready.
- The CCA Portal is now accessible from everywhere at http://YourServerPublicIp/CCAPortal.
If during your testing phase you try to export interviews to a QES and receive the following error: (Could not export interviews to qes. Error 3 (Error: Error at CExporter::ExportFromSqlNew : [(null)] (null) ), you'll need to install the Microsoft Access Runtime 2007. See pre-requisites section.