Installing the Design Survey Service (for AskiaFace tablet/mobile)
The "Design Survey Service" is the server-side application with which iOS and Android devices communicate. It is hosted on your IIS platform and runs as a WCF Service.
This service is NOT used by AskiaFace for Windows, which connects directly to the CCA.
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows Server 2012 minimum|
|Processor||Intel Core2Duo, Xeon or higher (with a minimum of 2 cores)|
|Roles||Microsoft IIS 6 or higher, ASP.NET, IIS Compatibility Components (IIS 7 or later, only)|
|Ports||80 must be open; 443 must be open if SSL is used|
Design Survey Service (note: uses SOAP) must be installed and IIS authorised in your firewall ("World Wide Web Services")
Make sure that port 980 and/or port 1980 (encrypted) is open on your CCA server. The communication between CCA server and DesignSurveyService is made through one of these ports. If the service and CCA will communicate across the open internet - i.e. not via a local network or VPN - it is strongly recommended that the port for encrypted communication (default 1980) is used.
If the service is installed on IIS 7 or later, the IIS 6 Compatibility Components must be installed earlier or the service installer will exit with a warning. Instructions are located here.
Run the Install
- Download DesignSurveyService's latest version here.
- Extract and run the installer.exe file.
- This screen will check if your machine meets the minimum requirements.
You can install the missing frameworks from this installer by clicking "information". Note that the missing frameworks are downloaded only when necessary, so an internet connection will be necessary if any are missing.
- Application and website :
- Select "Create a new application pool" if this is the first time DesignSurveyService is installed on this machine.
- Type in the IP address of your CCA server. A list of available CCAs will be prompted in the dropdown list. By default, CCA uses port 980 to communicate with DesignSurveyService. In this example, "localhost" is inserted since the Service was installed on the same machine than the CCA.
- Now, type in the path where you want the service files to be installed. You also have the option to allow cross-domain access to this service. Enabling this means that applications running on other web-servers will be able to use this web service that you are installing. For AskiaFace for iOS, you do not need cross-domain access and should leave it disabled.
- This is your final chance to exit the installation without making any changes. Clicking the "Next" button means that the installation will begin.
- After all files have been installed, the service is installed. You can launch the service and test it.
If the service is connected successfully, you will see a browser window similar to below. If not, you will see an error displayed and will need to take corrective action.
The browser is directed to the following address:
- Test Agent List:
The previous test only shows if the service is reachable. A more comprehensive test is to see if the service is reachable and can contact the CCA. Do this by requesting the service to show a list of the available agents by entering the following address into the browser:
If after the installation of the DesignSurveyService you receive an "HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error", make sure ASP.NET V4 is properly registered. To do this, run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the following:
See related discussion: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5836228/asp-net-4-0-has-not-been-registered.